Monday, May 30, 2011

Let's Congratulate HelmerJewelry, this week's winner!


You voted, and this week you were dazzled by Helmer Jewelry's Silver & Black treasury!

I asked Becky Helmer, shop owner of Helmers Jewelry to tell me more about herself and her etsy shop.

Unlike many Etsyers, Becky was not born crafty. 'My day job is a research scientist. I study a protein that may be involved in fertility and colon cancer. I am married and have 4 cats and a dog. My husband acts with the local community theatre and I run the Box Office. Until I started creating jewelry, I thought he was the only artistic one [in the family].'

'I came across a tutorial on how to make a simple pair of earrings. I had never...tried to create anything before, so one night while my husband was at rehearsal I decided to give it a try. I fell in love with making earrings and my husband encouraged me to sell them. Around that time I discovered Etsy but it wasn't until January of this year that I really did anything with my shop.'


'I make beaded jewelry and mostly use lucite flower beads, different shaped magnesite beads, and Kenyan/African beads that I got when I went to Kenya last Christmas...[I started] with simple earrings [and] have expanded to making necklaces, bracelets, and mostly recently rings.'

'I am inspired by nature and the things around me. I love going to the local bead store and looking at all the shapes, sizes, and colors of beads. Something always catches my eye, then I search for what else will work with it to make a complete piece of jewelry.'

Becky describes her personal style as casual, but she loves brightly coloured jewelry. 'I tend to plan what I wear around a piece of my beaded jewelry.'


In addition to Etsy, Becky sells her jewelry at a local art market.



'I plan to continue to work at promoting and improving my Etsy shop... I am always trying to think of better ways to display my jewelry.'

You can check out Becky's beaded creations at her Etsy shop.

Want to be featured next week? Make sure you play with us on Wednesday when the theme will be 'Whoa, Daddy'. The theme can mean anything to you, so be creative and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment, we do read every one and truly appreciate your time